Monday, September 6, 2010

Safety and Risk, Money and Happiness


1.       Which career path is more in line with your thinking: (1) make some money first and then focus more on what you are passionate about, or (2) focus more on what you are passionate about right away? What are the risks and rewards of each?
Both paths are unfortunately.  Passion, like everything, comes in varying degrees. With moderation of time, money, and responsibility, a person could work making money while also setting resources aside for what they truly care about. Personally, I would never want to be entirely immersed inside a passion for then, the passion would fade. I fear being jaded by my passions to the point of no appreciation. What point would life have if this happened? In my mind, to truly experience the good, one must truly survive the bad. A passion should be a privilege worked for.
If one had to be chosen, I would rather be passionate right away. Life is too short and fickle to say otherwise.
Both options are accompanied by risk and reward. Determining those really just depends though. It all depends on the job, the passion, the situation at hand, and hundreds of other things. Simply, making money pays the bills despite the grind and being passionate pays in happiness; the heart or the wallet is truly the dilemma. Barely scraping by and living comfortably miserable are the risks and the rewards of both situations.
2.       What do you see as a “safe” job choice and as a “risky” job choice? Why?
From the standpoint of Mark Albion, jobs that afford a gracious paycheck and little happiness are safe. In my opinion, a safe job is one simply the easiest one in terms of effort, security, and immediate need. This job provides the money for sustenance, provides that daily grind that must be done.
A risky job choice is one this involves true risk. Loss must be part of the equation for there to be risk.  Losses of money, face, or pride are just some examples of the dues to be paid. Risky jobs are meant to be self challenges for survival or for ones pursuit of passion.
3.       What do or did you expect to get out of business school? Did the experience meet your expectations?
My expectations of what business school will give back to me are limited at the moment. In other words I think that they are ever-growing depending on the amount of energy that I put into business school. I want to be able to leave UOP with an MBA to utilize as a tool to further my entrepreneurial enterprises. I want another perspective to help me create in the world and to further succeed in my endeavors.
4.       What is the purpose of business?
Business stands as the process by which people interact with each other and the environment to provide goods and services to each other that are either needed or wanted to further improve lives and the conditions that form around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment