Monday, November 8, 2010

Here and Now vs. There and Later

What would your ideal work community look like?

My ideal workplace would be somewhere that I feel comfortable working freely with dedicated and talented people towards a common goal. This grand place would be somewhere that I could grow as a person and as a businessman perpetuating my personal and professional goals as I am able. This would truly be an ideal place that I could call “work.”

How does the concept of Ubuntu apply to your career and your destiny plan? Give details of three specific instances.

“I am because we are.”
I read this phrase and think I can understand it. Even thinking basically considering this saying, business for me is the study of exchange between people. Providing some service or product from one to another is the basic concept that I am talking about. From this perspective, I cannot fathom a world any other way. As business people, we facilitate this exchange through negotiation and relationships identifying needs and trends in order to maneuver a positive outcome for everyone involved in the transaction.

I believe that without this form of thinking, viewing consumers as cattle or merchants as product pushers, we lose sight of the true purpose of what we are here to be doing. That purpose, of course, is creating a better situation for everyone including the consumer, who needs or wants something, and the merchant who has the resources to provide for that emptiness.

As Taddy Blecher said, “It’s not by looking only after yourself that you work for the good of everybody. It’s by looking after everybody that you ultimately create the basis of wealth for yourself.” By creating positive relationships and community, our study of exchange can evolve through these established networks. This idea combining concepts such as globalization and economies of scale is the first step towards incorporating the world into something more than it is through business but one where goods and services are merely the byproduct of these relationships that enrich us all.

My goals for my career are lofty, proud, and complex. I want to be able to travel and learn about the world through culture and tradition while exploring and observing everything around me. I want to be able to solve problems and troubleshoot conflict in order to create positive outcomes that benefit people. It is through these broad goals that I hope to guide myself through my career and develop meaningful relations along the way. This is how I perceive Ubuntu and its application not only in the “here and now” but also in “there and later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment